Pages

Monday, December 27, 2010

Tufts Optional Essay

The first time I baked a cake from scratch, it turned out amazing: super moist, super yummy, and just, well, super. (And yes, my mother did do most of the backing, but hey! I helped.)

That is when I decided that I would never again bake a cake from a box, or a package, or anything similar. Instead I would only make cakes from scratch. And thus, I began my journey into the lovely world   of being covered in flour.

The second time I tried to make a cake from scratch (this time without my mother) well...

I decided to use a recipe I found online, it seemed pretty easy, I mean how hard can carrot cake be?

Five minutes into the baking process: "Hey mom, sorry for bothering you at work, but what the heck are purred carrots? And what do walnuts look like?"

My first few attempts baking on my own ended with burt carrots, burnt fingers, and a cake that mysteriously turned green. But I never let that get me down; I kept baking more and more. And soon enough I had the ability to make a killer red velvet cake, an amazing german chocolate cake, and a perfect carrot cake.

I, then, started trying to bake things that were not cake: I made pies, mountains of cookies, brownies, breads, muffins...etc. And slowly but surely, I started getting better at baking in general. I started playing around with the recipes I once followed religiously: adding ingredients, taking others away, changing them to suite my needs.

And now I can confidently say that if try anything I make, you won't food poisoning, but your waistline might increase.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment